Pages

Monday, June 09, 2008

the rest of the world.

I heard a joke today. It wasn't a joke, technically, more a witty riposte (that followed some conversation, that in other-times would have had the company in splits), along the lines of how you should never date female lawyers. Because, of course, they lose all their femininity. And are probably bitches.

Speaking of which, a friend of mine confidently assures me that he doesn't like tall women. "They're not feminine or graceful, you know?", he says. most of them are so... assertive.


Of course.

Note, I'm not complaining about any of the people above. They're good friends, nice guys, keep me company, call me at 3 am, open doors for people, are polite and nice smelling, you know? the works.

(I was however, miffed about the guy in the motorbike who zoomed in front of me today and appraisingly stated that I was a "lovely beauty" before zooming off. As if he stood a chance...)


In my cosy little room at good ol' Nalsar, gender bias is easier to fight. Of course it exists, and its also perfectly annoying, but it isn't nearly as bad as _the rest of the world._


The rest of the world judges women more harshly than it does men.
and not at their work ( atleast not that I've seen), but I think at their play. in their jokes and stories and dreams and wishes and lives.
I sometimes hate the rest of the world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only ever been attracted to assertive girls. Because assertive girls seem also to be incredibly strong people (in almost all senses, except the physical), my love affairs are continuous challenges to my self-esteem; sometimes orgies of self-loathing.

It's painful as all get out, but I wouldn't have it any other way. How can you condition devotion on the weakness (even masked as "grace") of the party of the second part?

I've probably already revealed who I am. :)

Bo said...

In my current avatar as a jobless graduate, I have become addicted to the misogynistic TV series- Boston Legal.

The first few episodes that I saw, I got angry. I felt it demeaning and insulting and it prickled the last few feminist bones I possessed. Then I got conditioned. And started laughing along.

Its scary how easy it is to laugh at cliches and not fight them.

aandthirtyeights said...

A conversation I had some years ago with a friend.

He: So, what's she like?
Me: She's hot.
He: Dude, I saw the picture, and she's hot and all. But what's she like?
Me: Um, she thinks like a guy, da...
He: Oooh. Too hot!

Anonymous said...

First time reader, so pardonnez moi.

Found you through Bobo. That, and you read Aaki's stuff.

Like your writing, esp. the one about Mango Rasam and Tomato Sambhar.

Btw, how do you know of Thayir Sadam and Molagapudi? Those are inherently Tam terms. Who has let our secrets out?

Yours in secrecy,
A.

P.S.: Tequila goes superbly with avial.

Anonymous said...

lol, anonymous, I am pseudo tam myself, long long long years of living in Madras ( note: long enough to call it madras and not chenn-yuck-nai)


I'm currently in madras too, enjoying its sounds and smells in the high court, and everywhere else.

Will try out your avial tip, though not at home :) and in exchange, heres my advice: If you go to the Madras HC anytime, the sangeetha has the best sambar vadai i've eaten in a long long time.

yours, wondering why people stay anoynymous...

Sow.

Anonymous said...

Haha! This is the first time I've heard the term "pseudo-tam". Kudos.

Btw, I have eaten the said vadai sambhar :) {Ze pater's a lawyer and I used to go to Madras quite often).

However, I can trump that. Combatore's "Annapurna" outdoes it, and a close second is provided by some obscure joint near that big temple in Madurai (don't ask what, where or which).

But Bangalore still kicks arse,even if it isn't what I used to call home.

P.S.: The anonymity is only superficial. "A" is the official blogger identity. Check aaki and bobo :)

-A

Post a Comment